Facebook

Contact

Deutsches Medizinhistorisches Museum
Anatomiestraße 18-20
85049 Ingolstadt

Telephone: +49 (0)841/3052860
Phone Enquiry Service: +49 (0)841/3052866
E-mail: dmm@ingolstadt.de

Map

Links

The Deutsches Medizinhistorisches Museum

The Deutsches Medizinhistorisches Museum (German Museum of Medical History) is a museum run by the city of Ingolstadt The baroque building, in which the museum is housed, was built in 1723 for teaching anatomy at the Bavarian State University. It was the first new building for anatomical studies in the German-speaking world. Until the university moved to Landshut in 1800, it was used for the teaching and research of anatomy and botany.

During the course of the 500th anniversary celebration of the University of Ingolstadt-Landshut-Munich in 1972, the city of Ingolstadt acquired the "Old Anatomy" and restored it to its original state. On the initiative of Professor Heinz Goerke (1917-2014), professor of medical history at the Ludwig-Maximilians-Universität München (Ludwig-Maximilian-University Munich), the first museum of medical history in Germany opened in 1973.

In 1992, the garden of pharmaceutical plants was planted on the historical site of the academic hortus medicus during the Landesgartenschau (State Garden Show). The plan drawn up by the then director, pharmacist and historian of pharmacy and medicine, Christa Habrich (1940-2013), groups the plants according to their medically active ingredients from a modern scientific point of view.

In 2008, an approx. 100 m² exhibition of "Medical Technology" opened in a rented room in a building adjacent to the garden of pharmaceutical plants. The central aim of this exhibition is to display the world's first plant for extracorporeal shock wave lithotripsy developed at the Großhadern Hospital and used to smash kidney stones.

In 2016, the Baroque museum building received a modern extension by the Berlin architect Volker Staab including a foyer, exhibition room, seminar room, depot, library, administrative offices and a museum café, which in summer serves as a garden café in the garden of pharmaceutical plants. At the same time, the "Old Anatomy" was closed to visitors in order to renovate the domestic engineering and subsequently set up a new permanent exhibition. The reopening is planned for spring 2019.

Collections owned by the Deutsches Medizinhistorisches Museum available on bavarikon